Monday, February 22, 2010

Boomer - Living and learning





Next up was a bag lady.  At least that is what I set out to make.  The Fates had a very different idea.

When I sewed the face onto the head I realized I had sewn it on inside out.  Now, there is something you gotta know about me. Something I am not proud of.  I am not a patient person. I try my best to do it right the first time and would rather discard something than go back and correct it.  This is a trait I am trying to correct but in the meantime here I was faced with a face with the seams on the outside.

What oh what could I do?  I decided that it looked like a beard. Then it came to me.  Make the bag lady into a man.  A bag man. A bag man with a beard to hide the raw seam.

There was just one problem. He looked more like an Elizabethan actor than a bag man.

I got kind of fancy with the ears. Making large ones and then curling them around someway to sculpt them. Don't ask me how now.

I also put tiny black beads in for the eyes and pulled the cloth face around them to make eyelids....hmmm beady eyes.


Okay. I draw the line at Elizabethan actors.  Lets put some sun glasses on him and see what happens.

 Better but.....let's try a bandanna.  Yeah. Now he looks like a biker.  Friend Joan said..." He looks like a Baby Boomer."  And thus his name...Boomer.



And so began a several months long quest for a motorcycle.  I saw plenty of them but they were either too small, too big or too expensive. Till yesterday that is. Walmart (yeah yeah I know...we hate Walmart) had their Valentine's gifts and candies marked way down.  This little baby was marked down to a quarter of the original price.  Yeah, yeah. It IS made in China. I promise not to eat it or rub any part of body against it.

Naturally the monkies will have to go. In fact I did manage to remove them this morning but didnt take another picture.

Did I mention that it plays Born to Be Wild?  The other one plays Love Machine.

Speaking of bodies. I cannot show you all of  Boomer's photos since he is well....a man in every sense of the word.  And he does not have any clothes yet... except for a tiny leopard skin thong.  I need to make jeans and a shirt and chaps and a vest and all those bikery type things.

I can however show you his hand. I am still practicing hands but have a nice pattern now from the master doll maker Judi Ward that I mentioned in the previous post on Online Classes.

So not just the arm but each and every finger is pose-able. Not so fun to make but once they are done they are bitchin'!

More on Boomer when the whole package is complete.

Sadly I think he may have to be remade quite a bit smaller to fit this great motorcycle.  There is always the risk that I will end up with another box of Boomer parts and his beady little eyes staring accusingly up at me.

No comments:

Paper Mache Clay Experiment - What I would do differently

This is so typical of me to just jump in where angels fear to tread and make up my own rules.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn...