Tuesday, February 23, 2010

....and now for something completely different - Hooked Wool Rugs cont'd

More Shibui.  I just realized that try as I might to post things in an orderly fashion I always seem to miss something. This time it is a small round rug made in 2003.  I call this one Fat Cat. 


And this one also from 2003....a very traditional design usually done with two mermaids. I made it my own by using only one siren and designing a snazzy wave border. I fell in love with the very quaint saying on the rug, "Over the bounding wave. What could be more delightful to the eyes of a lonely sailor man. Altho thir snares are spiteful" (sic)


This one is a great favorite of mine.  It is based on a work entitled Storm is Coming by  Cuban painter Agusto Bordelois. 

The white buildings and red tile roofs remind me of the town where I lived in Ecuador.  I love the quirky touch of the cats in the clouds. Can you see them?

I tried to get in touch with Mr Bordelois to get his permission to copy his painting on to the rug but I got no answer from him.  
I hope he understands that it is only out of pure admiration for his painting that I have tried to reproduce it .

Wanting something requiring a little less commitment than a large rug I made a couple of small pieces and turned them into purses. These 8 x 8 inch purses are very fun to use. I made the strap by braiding together complimentary colors of yarn.



The piece on the left was inspired by works of Paul Klee. I have not actually done anything with it yet. You can still see the burlap backing. I am not sure if it will be a purse or what.  Thank the gods it does not have eyes - the better to accuse me with!
Then I got back to the larger rugs and did one based on a Matisse painting called Goldfish. The colors are so vibrant.  Monsieur Matisse was not available for comment either.

Okay gotta close this post too even though I have more rug hooking examples. I think my computer is about to crash as its poor old memory is like mine. It can't hold as much as it used to.

No comments:

Paper Mache Clay Experiment - What I would do differently

This is so typical of me to just jump in where angels fear to tread and make up my own rules.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn...