Sunday, September 9, 2012

Experimenting with jointed paper clay dolls

This week I have been messing around with making two sizes of jointed dolls.

The first one uses four drinking straws cut in half. These are the form I used to build the limbs around.  

First I wrapped them in a single layer of old style paper mache and let it dry.

Next I added paper clay and stuck a skewer through to allow them to dry evenly without flattening on the bottom side.

Yes I am aware that they look like tampons.


Next I made a rough head.  Photos help me to see things that need more work.  Wonky eyes seem to be the theme with my faces lately.



I made smaller limbs from previously enjoyed Q tips.  No need to freak out. I cut off the fuzzy used end and used only the plastic, which I discovered is hollow inside like a small straw. It is perfect for inserting a wire with which to hook the limbs together.

Below are cut outs of hands and feet. They will act as a form on which to place and shape the paper clay. They are cut from cardboard packaging that would other wise have gone to the dump.




Here are a pair of hands already molded around two of the cardboard hand pieces.  I have set them on a coke can in order to give them a natural curve as they dry.

I have inserted a piece of wire which I twisted into a loop for joining it to the end of the forearm later.

On the right, top, is a normal Q tip, then one that has had the fuzzy ends removed and finally one that has had paper mache and paper clay applied.  A wire has been inserted through the hollow center of the Q tip. Next a loop will be formed at either end.


Still a long way to go.  Still have to do bodies, feet and another pair of hands.  Paint them, wire them together, dress them or whatever.

Much more tedious than just sewing a doll together and stuffing it. But I do insist on trying everything.

More to come as the project progresses.



No comments:

Paper Mache Clay Experiment - What I would do differently

This is so typical of me to just jump in where angels fear to tread and make up my own rules.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn...